EMDFA 200 is a Multifunctional Diesel fuel Additive sourced from TOTAL, France.
FACTORS AFFECTING COMBUSTION IN DIESEL ENGINES
- Incomplete combustion is a major cause for deterioration in efficiency.
- The time available for combustion is very short in an engine. In modern diesel engines having speeds of 3400 rpm to 5200 rpm, the time available for combustion is of the order of 1/225 to 1/350 of a second. Even in an engine running at 1500 rpm, the time available for combustion will be of the order of just 1/100 of a second.
- Complete combustion in an engine requires initiation of combustion at the designated instant. The ignition of fuel should take place at a designated instant before the top dead centre, followed by smooth and rapid combustion converting the fuel into gaseous combustion products.
- There is a need for fine fuel atomization and an efficient mixing of fuel with air. The initiation of combustion also depends on the cetane number of the fuel, which is a measure of the self ignition quality of the fuel. The rate of vaporization depends on the surface area and hence on good fuel atomization with fine droplets for a larger surface area.
REASONS OF FOULING AND DEPOSITS
- Fouling of injectors happens due to many reasons. Fouling is accentuated by the presence of cycle oil streams in diesel.
- The new engine designs with precisely engineered injector orifices are more vulnerable to fouling and even marginal fouling affects the combustion efficiency.
- Fouling compromises atomization.
- Poor atomization means larger particles. Therefore slower vaporization and not enough time for fuel vapour to mix with air, ignite and burn. Net result is loss of energy, reduced efficiency and low power delivery.
- Injectors with much higher injection pressures of 1500 Kgs/Cm2 having finer orifices ( Eg. CRDI engines ) are more prone to be affected by even small amounts of injector deposits.
SOLUTION FOR OPTIMAL CUMBUSTION
- The suggested cost effective solution is the regular use of Multifunctional Diesel Additive TOTAL EMDFA 200
- Contains a detergent which quickly cleans injectors and improves atomization efficiency, thereby reducing incomplete combustion.
- Contains a cetane improver which helps in timely self ignition contributing to improved combustion.. Cetane improver also helps in improving cold start capability.
- Corrosion inhibitor protects the entire fuel system against corrosion and rust.
ADVANTAGES OF EMDFA 200
- Fuel economy
- Better drivability and power
- Less smoke
- Lower maintenance costs particularly of the fuel injection system
EMDFA 200 DOSAGE
- EMDFA 200 is to be used at a dosage of 400 ppm ( i.e.) 40 ml in 100 Litres of Diesel.
- When starting an engine with already fouled injectors , it is recommended to have a “CLEAN UP” phase with 1000 ppm dosing for 250 hours
- Alternately rapid cleanup possible with vehicular engines. In the rapid injector cleaning procedure, a quantity of 120 ml of EMDFA 200 for light commercial vehicles and 300 ml of EMDFA 200 for heavy commercial vehicles, is filled in the primary fuel filter of the engine. The engine is run on idling speed for about 30 minutes. This will ensure that the deposits on the injectors are cleaned and subsequently a regular dosage of 400 ppm is to be used. The smoke emission levels before and after the rapid injector cleaning can be taken and compared with the help of a smoke meter, which will clearly demonstrate the drastic reduction in the emission levels in HSU-Hartridge Smoke Units.
EMDFA 200 EVALUATIONS / RECOMMENDATIONS
- PCRA- Petroleum Conservation Research Association has evaluated EMDFA 200 on a TATA 697 DI diesel engine and found an economy in fuel consumption of the order of 3.59 to 4.68% at different speeds.
- TELCO, Engineering Research Centre, Pune has tested EMDFA 200 on a TATA vehicle 1210 SE model and certified a 5 % saving is diesel consumption.
- IIT- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras has evaluated EMDFA 200 on an engine of 12.4 BHP at 1800 rpm (Ruston 1 YWA MK4) and found an improvement of 4.1 to 6.3 % in brake specific fuel consumption and a reduction in smoke number ranging from 37.5 to 61.6% at different loads.
- SWRI- Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas has evaluated EMDFA 200 on a 1990 model Cummins L 10 CPL No.1223 rated at 290 BHP @ 2100 rpm and certified the fuel treated with EMDFA 200 as “Superior”.
- Mahindra and Mahindra has tried EMDFA 200 on M & M vehicles and found an increase in mileage by 8 – 10 %, considerable reduction in exhaust emissions and smoother drive with no negative effects.
- SKODA recommends the use of EMDFA 200 for SKODA diesel engines.
- CATERPILLAR has no objection to the use of EMDFA 200 in their engines.
- Many large industrial houses and transporters like VRL in India use EMDFA 200 regularly.
EMDFA 200 ECONOMICS
- At a regular dosage of 4 ml for 10 litres of diesel, cost of EMDFA 200 is about 1% of cost.
- Gross Savings of 3% - 5%
- Net Savings of 2-4%