ADON D is a multifunctional diesel additive manufactured by TOTAL, France and marketed by INDIAN OIL CORPORATION LIMITED through their Retail Outlets all over India under a collaboration agreement with TOTAL, France.
FACTORS AFFECTING COMBUSTION IN DIESEL ENGINES
- Incomplete combustion is a major cause for deterioration in efficiency.
- The time available for combustion is very short in an engine. In modern diesel engines having speeds of 3400 rpm to 5200 rpm, the time available for combustion is of the order of 1/225 to 1/350 of a second. Even in an engine running at 1500 rpm, the time available for combustion will be of the order of just 1/100 of a second.
- Complete combustion in an engine requires initiation of combustion at the designated instant. The ignition of fuel should take place at a designated instant before the top dead centre, followed by smooth and rapid combustion converting the fuel into gaseous combustion products.
- There is a need for fine fuel atomization and an efficient mixing of fuel with air. The initiation of combustion also depends on the cetane number of the fuel, which is a measure of the self ignition quality of the fuel. The rate of vaporization depends on the surface area and hence on good fuel atomization with fine droplets for a larger surface area.
REASONS OF FOULING AND DEPOSITS
- Fouling of injectors happens due to many reasons. Fouling is accentuated by the presence of cycle oil streams in diesel.
- The new engine designs with precisely engineered injector orifices are more vulnerable to fouling and even marginal fouling affects the combustion efficiency.
- Fouling compromises atomization.
- Poor atomization means larger particles. Therefore slower vaporization and not enough time for fuel vapour to mix with air, ignite and burn. Net result is loss of energy, reduced efficiency and low power delivery.
- Injectors with much higher injection pressures of 1500 Kgs/Cm2 having finer orifices ( Eg. CRDI engines ) are more prone to be affected by even small amounts of injector deposits.
SOLUTION FOR OPTIMAL COMBUSTION
- The most cost effective solution is the use of ADON D Multifunctional Diesel Additive marketed by IOC which originally had a brand name of TOTAL EMDFA 200.
- Contains a detergent which quickly cleans injectors and improves atomization efficiency, thereby reducing incomplete combustion.
- Contains a cetane improver which helps in timely self ignition contributing to improved combustion.. Cetane improver also helps in improving cold start capability.
- Corrosion inhibitor protects the entire fuel system against corrosion and rust.
INJECTOR CLEANLINESS STANDARDS
WORLD WIDE FUEL CHARTER stipulates limits for Injector Cleanliness as below :
- MAX 85% FLOW AREA LOSS BY TEST CEC PF 023 (XUD 9)
- MAX 2% POWER LOSS BY TEST CEC F 098 (DW10)
Results with ADON D
- ADON D records a Flow Loss of just 15% as against a limit of 85% allowable under the time tested, well established test method of CEC PF 023 ( XUD 9 ) Test.
- The latest Test method of DW10 Fuel Injector Fouling Test indicates Zero Power Loss with ADON D as against 2% Loss max Limit.
- BIS SPECS FOR DIESEL DO NOT STIPULATE ANY LIMITS FOR INJECTOR DEPOSITS
- BUT RECOMMEND USE OF FUEL ADDITIVES TO :
- IMPROVE PERFORMANCE QUALITY,
- TO AVOID DETERIORATION OF DRIVABILITY AND
- EMISSIONS CONTROL DURABILITY
- ADON-D is to be used at a dosage of 400 ppm,( i.e ) 4 ml additive for 10 litres diesel or 10ml additive for 25 litres diesel.
- ADON-D is available in 10ml, 20ml, 40ml and 100 ml pouch and 100ml bottle packing.
- At a regular dosage of 4 ml for 10 litres of diesel, cost of ADON-D is about 1% of cost.